1) Because you want to follow Christ’s example.
“At that time Jesus came from Nazareth and was baptized by John in the river.” Mark 1:9
2) Christ commanded it.
“Jesus said, `Go then, to all people everywhere and make them my disciples, baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and then teach them to obey everything I have commanded you..” Matthew 28:19-20
3) It shows you are a believer.
“…many of the Corinthians who heard him believed and were baptized.” Acts 18:8
4) Obeying Christ’s command shows you know Him.
“We know that we have come to know Him, if we obey His commands.” 1 John 2:3
What’s the meaning?
1) It is a symbol of Christ’s burial and resurrection.
“Christ died for our sins…he was buried… and he rose again.” 1 Corinthians. 15:3,4
“For when you were baptized, you were buried with Christ, and in baptism you were also raised with Christ.” Colossians 2:12
2) It is a symbol of your new life as a Christian.
“When someone becomes a Christian he becomes a brand new person inside. The old life has passed away and a new life has begun!” 2 Corinthians 5:17
3) Baptism does not make you a believer; it shows that you already are one! Baptism does not “save” you, only your faith in Christ does that. Baptism is like a wedding ring – it’s the outward symbol of the commitment you made in your heart.
“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith. It is the gift of God not by works, so that no one can boast.” Ephesians 2:8,9
1) Like Jesus was baptized, by being immersed in water.
“As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water.” Matthew 3:16
2) Every baptism in the Bible was by immersion under water.
“…then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water…” Acts 8:38,39
3) The word “baptize” comes from the Greek word “baptizo” which means “to immerse or dip under water.”
4) It is the best way to picture a burial and resurrection.
Every person who has made the decision to believe in Christ and who is old enough to understand that decision.
- “Those who believed and accepted His message were baptized.” Acts 2:41
- “But when they believed Philip as he preached the Good News… And the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.” Acts 8:12
As soon as you have believed! You shouldn’t delay.
“Those who believed…were baptized…that day!” Acts 2:41
To learn more about Baptism listen to
“A Common Thread”
How has baptism impacted your life?